orWine Tastings in the Comfort of you own villa or B&B while on holiday in Tuscany or Liguria

To book an informative and fun wine tasting whilst holidaying in Italy or arrange for a wild food walk in your area contact me on tuscanytipple at libero dot it or check out my Facebook page

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Navel Wort

I have let the wildfood of the month series lapse a bit, but as we are still holed up indoors due to the unusually cold weather I may as well do another one of them that I had originally planned for last year but kind of missed the window: Navel Wort (umbilicus rupestris), also known as penny-pies or wall pennywort.


This photo was taken in April last year, which really is already a little late in the season for this delicious herb  When they turn reddish like this they get a slightly unpleasant bitter taste.  They grow mainly on rough stone walls and are quite abundant around here even as early as January.  There were lots of them around before our current coldsnap, but now they have disappeared on most but the sunniest walls.

They are thick, succulent leaves about the size of a large coin and the shape of a human navel (hence the name)  Here a better idea of the size of them:


You pick them off the wall and just pop them in your mouth, just like that, and they have the most refreshing crunching juicyness to them.  If you've been walking for a bit and have run out of water, just a pop a few of these for an instant revitaliser.  If you find quite a few of them, and never graze them bare, take them home and pop them into a salad or I could imagine them added to an energising vegetable juice.

Not only are these things tasty, they are also good for you.  Culpeper used to call it 'kidneywort' because of it's beneficial influence on the waterworks in general and the kidney in particular.   The juice applied externally is said to combat acne if you have any teenagers suffering from that ailment.  It generally has a cooling effect on anything it is applied to, both internally and externally.  I imagine it would help relieve insect bites, but alas it's not available when insects are around...

I have no doubt there are other benefits, but best of all it's really tasty and free!

4 comments:

Angela said...

I`ve never seen or tasted them around here. You never stop to amaze me with your interesting knowledge. I hope your snow will melt soon. I am sick of ours, too. My blog pals from Brazil and South Africa say they have 37° C (+) and they `d LOVE to have some of our cold, but we had -21°, and that is colder than in my deep freezer!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

super! i'll have to look for it around here. :-)

LindyLouMac said...

I think we get that plant here so will have to try it!

Jason Irving said...

I love the wonderful crunchy texture of pennywort. I have heard the juice is very good for earache, although I haven't tested this as I have never suffered from it.
I live in the East of England, so unfortunately I rarely get a chance to eat pennywort as it only likes growing in the west for some reason: pennywort distribution map